Join us the for latest updates and amendments to the Basel Accords – exclusive to Masterclass Events.
This Complete Basel Masterclass will explore the latest developments in Basel and equip you with the understanding and tools to ensure your Bank’s compliance for the 1 January 2023, Basel Implementation Deadline.
Dr Gary van Vuuren, is one of world’s leading Consultants onBanking, Risk and Basel. Dr van Vuuren, has performed extensive Stress Testing on Basel IV implementation for the European Central Bank, and is a trusted guide to the worlds leading banks on their Basel compliance.
The Basel III repaired the Basel II accord (it did not replace it) as did Basel IV.
Basel III sorted out issues in the capital equation’s numerator and Basel IV – with later phase-in dates – sorts out issues in the capital equation’s denominator. For banks to be Basel compliant, Basel III has now been fully implemented and Basel IV continues to be phased in. Basel IV addresses many aspects of banks’ regulatory affairs, in particular the fundamental review of the trading book and the massive shift away from value at risk to expected shortfall.
This practical course offers advanced-level insights into the Basel accords with emphasis on the Basel III and IV:
- Basel I – a brief overview of the what were the big ideas, why was it necessary in the first place and what risks did it cover?
- Basel II – why was it necessary, what improvements and additions were made to the Basel I accord?
- Basel III – a patchwork of corrective measures designed to repair flaws detected in Basel II, not replace Basel II. What are the timings involved in the implementation, why are these staggered, what are the big changes and how do they affect bank capital?
- Basel IV – which introduces sweeping changes to the trading book. What are these changes? How will they affect bank capital and what is the timing involved?
- New changes (2014) to both the standardised approach to credit risk and to the simpler approaches to operational risk will be explored.
Who Should Attend?
- Risk managers – market/credit/operational/liquidity
- Regulatory and compliance staff
- Internal auditors.